MINOR REQUIREMENTS 2017-2018
20 units minimum
All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless only offered for faculty-elected satisfactory/no credit. All courses must be completed with a letter grade of ‘C’ or better. Courses may not be used towards any other major or minor.
The Faculty Director must approve all courses.
The minor in Middle Eastern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (MELLAC) has two tracks:
MELLAC Arabic Track
Up to 5 units of transfer credit may count towards this minor with the Faculty Director's approval.
1. Completion of four ARABLANG courses at second year or beyond.
2. Two literature courses taught with Arabic texts (6-10 units)
Generally offered in Comparative Literature (COMPLIT).
3. One course relating to Arabic taught with English texts (3-5 units). Generally offered in Comparative Literature (COMPLIT).
4. Arabic Proficiency Notation
All minors are to test for proficiency in Arabic through the Language Center by Winter Quarter
of their senior year. Students should receive a notation of at least Intermediate-High.
with a focus on Hebrew, Persian, Turkish, or African Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
1. Three language classes in Hebrew, Persian, Turkish, or an African language.
All three courses must be in the same language and first year or beyond.
2. 20 additional units from relevant literature and culture courses.
Courses are offered through the Language Center and DLCL.
One of these courses must be a (COMPLIT) Comparative Literature course.
3. Additional courses are offered through Jewish Studies (JEWISHST), and the
Center for African Studies (AFRICAST).
4. The Faculty Director may approve some upper level language classes to count
towards the 20 additional units.