RUSSIAN STUDIES MAJOR REQUIREMENTS 2017-2018
56 units minimum
All courses must be taken for a letter grade and may not be used towards any other major or minor.
Only grades of ‘C’ and above may count towards the major. All Slavic majors are required to have
completed first-year Russian, or equivalent, as determined by the Language Center placement exam.
1. Russian Language Courses (12 units minimum)
SLAVLANG 111 – 113: Third-Year Russian Language
SLAVLANG 177 – 179: Fourth-Year Russian Language
SLAVLANG 181 – 183: Fifth-Year Russian Language
2. 19th-Century Russian Literature and History Courses (8 units minimum)
146 fulfills the WIM requirement - take for 3 or more units
At least one course from SLAVIC and one course from HISTORY*
• SLAVIC 145: Survey of Russian Literature (Autumn)
or SLAVIC 146: The Great Russian Novel (Winter) (WIM)
•A pre-revolutionary Russian history course.
* Consult the Chair of Undergraduate Studies to identify appropriate history courses.
3. 20th-Century Russian Literature and History Courses (8 units minimum)
At least one course from SLAVIC and one course from HISTORY
• SLAVIC 148: Slavic Literature and Culture since the Death of Stalin (Spring)
4. Electives (32 units minimum)
These courses are chosen in consultation with the department's chair of undergraduate studies.
With department consent, work in related academic fields may be applied toward the degree requirements.
10 units of SLE, IHUM 28A/B “Poetic Justice,” THINK 21, and THINK 32 may be counted towards electives.
Must have received a grade of ‘B’ or better.
5. Capstone (5 units recommended)
Students must designate a 300-level course taken in their junior or senior year as a capstone course.
Before graduation, skills in writing, textual analysis, and discussion will be evaluated by
the Chair of Undergraduate Studies based on work submitted for the capstone course.
6. Language Assessment
All Slavic Languages and Literature majors must complete the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)
two quarters prior to graduation. Contact the Undergraduate Student Affairs Officer.